Monday 25 May 2009

Ups and downs

A very sunny day meant that my sunburn was getting no better - I couldn't
find any shops open selling suntan lotion, so had to watch my knees getting
redder and redder. We got to carlisle and stopped to get Dave a new tyre.

A short trip to penrith got us there in good time and we decided to plough
on to shap before lunch. We'd heard stories about shap that it was the
hardest climb on the trip, so we set about it. We arrived in shap at about
2:15 and had a good pub lunch. We had each said to each other that the
climb wasn't that bad and we'd had much worse. Talking to the woman at the
bar we discovered that it's actually shap fell that is the highest point -
another 5 miles away, a bit dejected, we trudged on up the a6 up, and up,
and up - back up to about 1400 feet (for the 3rd time this trip) to some
increadible views but absolutely knackered - but then, we got to go down
the other side, which was about 30 minutes of downhill, over 10 miles to
kendal - very fun, apart from the very strong crosswinds which promised to
throw us off the cliff at any moment.

From kendal it was then a loooong 20 miles to Lancaster where we arrived at
about 7 - we kept Ben and Vicky waiting - and were presented with the best
meal of the journey, topped off with a cracking sticky toffee pudding.

A shower that stinged both my sunburn and my cuts livened me up a bit -
Achilles tendon on my left leg is battling my right knee for the most
painful appendage.

Dave just pulled a fast one giving me the option of the airbed (which I
though was the better) but just found out that he now has the big bed. Grr!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Hey Phil, I want my money back! After all we taught you,how could you say you were glad Rangers won?

Phil Leaper said...

Hey, i'd rather the rangers fans were happy - especially in a pub run by an irish catholic. Anyway isn't you daughter a ranger's fan?