Wednesday 27 May 2009

Just after breakfast Dave noticed that his spoke was broken so we made our
way to halfords to get it fixed - we got there and had to wait 30 minutes
for the place to open, and then another 45 minutes for the guy to change
the spoke. While we were waiting we met a very nice lady called Anne who
listened as I recounted our journey so far, and promised to make a donation
- thanks Anne!

So we were not on the road again until nearly 10, which felt like a bit of
a waste after getting up so early. We left Stafford and headded toward
wolverhampton taking an hour or so. After all that it was about 11 and I
checked the sat nav to find out we still had 60 miles to go - I suffered a
little depression at this point, the only day I really wanted to get back
early to see em and Josh and at this pace it was going to be our latest
arrival. Annoyed, but using the anger we made it to kiddeminster in about
another hour - I then checked the sat nav again and realised that I'd been
calculating the distance to Gloucester centre, not sally and David's house
- the total remaining for the day now was only 35, considerably more
achievable considering it was only 12 - however before we had time to
celebrate we had to go to halfords again, because Dave's tyre had developed
a kink (a weak spot, not a perversion), so we dumped the bikes and went to
grab some lunch from Sainsbury's.

All that sorted, we left kiddeminster through utterly unremarkable
landscape and just kept going for the rest of the afternoon to arrive at
about 5:30. I kept telling Dave from tewksbury onward that it was only 2
miles or so, it was more like 10 because I'd only ever done it in the car -
I think I started to annoy him...

Unfortunately I had no fiance and son to welcome me with open arms because
they'd had a flat tyre before they left home.

A massive portion of lasgne, a hot shower and an ankle support later we're
both feeling good about the next few days, but still need to work out the
route to Taunton tomorrow.

[no pictures today because there was nothing worth taking pictures of,
every town we went through was full of business parks and chavs]

2 comments:

Ben A said...

Looks like you boys might make it and I@ll have to double my pledge! I'm skint you know!!

Phil Leaper said...

Don't jinx it...

Skint enough to go galavanting around the world for a year.